Hoy’s Koppie

  • Formed about 450 million years ago
  • Formerly known as Klipkop (Stone Hill)
  • Cave excavated 1925 and 1935
  • Human habitation identified, dating from 70 000 years ago
  • 1912: Hermanus Primary School built of stone from Koppie
  • 1930: Sir William Hoy buried at summit: path was constructed
  • 1935: Lady Gertrude Hoy buried next to husband
  • 1930 -1940: Klipkop becomes known as Hoy’s Koppie
  • 1960s: Path system constructed by Dr Ion Williams and Mr Eric Jones
  • 2008: Path system upgraded by Cliff Path Management Group and Overstrand Municipality

Geology of Hoy’s Koppie

  • Part of the Cape Supergroup deposited about 450 million years ago
  • Vast rivers transported material into a shallow marine shelf environment covering a vast coastal plain
  • Ancient sea shells lie scattered along the lower contour path indicating higher, fluctuating sea levels in the past
  • The cave was formed by destructive wave action

Sir William Hoy

  • 1868: born in Scotland
  • 1889: joined Cape Railways
  • 1899-1902: supervised British military rail network, Anglo-Boer War
  • 1910: General Manager, South African Railways
  • 1910: visited Hermanus for first time; returned annually for 18 years
  • 1912: vetoed rail line to Hermanus, instituted bus service
  • 1914: supervised railway construction to German South West Africa for military purposes
  • 1916: Knighted for military services
  • 1918: Member of South African delegation to Versailles Peace Conference
  • 1925: introduced electric traction on Cape Railways
  • 1927: retired: served as Chairman, Rhodesian Railways

Hermanus and Hoy’s Koppie featured on Pasella on KykNet